Lots of news this week including several kick-starter projects, new iPad and iPhone releases plus this weeks gaming releases in the UK and a new segment on gaming cons and clubs in the UK.
The game itself is called Orchorde. In Orkhorde each of the up to six players leads a tribe in a bigger orcish warband. Each round the members of the tribe are set to a number of tasks: food has to be collected, raids have to be done, the shaman tries to mollify the gods – and don't forget the unavoidable fights about who's the boss. But it is most important for the orcs to gather trophies and renown. The tribe that collected the most renown when the game ends, wins.
If you want to know more about this game and how to get involved in the funding process check out the full press release here.
The guys at Turnham Games would like you to know about their kickstarter project called Expedite.
Expedite is a strategic 2-4 player route-building game. The game is a fast paced race to 100 points for the win. Players chose between four options per turn. Each option may not only advance their position but may advance opponents as well. There are two unique elements of Expedite. The first is the ability to buy hubs away from opposing players, providing an endless variety of strategy. The second is the splitting of available points when a World Trade Card is played.
Combining skill and luck, Expedite offers 100's of hours of game play. It is easy and intuitive for novice board game players, but the interwoven nature of the game will provide a challenge for experienced players.
Check out their video and more at Kickstarter. .
The guys at Eureka Trivia would like you to about their new project.
Eureka! Trivia is an interactive trivia video designed for digital distribution, enabling convenient playability on televisions and computers. Eureka! Trivia features 50 fun contemporary questions lasting approximately an hour, best played at parties or with groups of friends, like us! Players can enjoy five categories: History, Science, Humanities, Sports, and Pop Culture without the need for a cumbersome board or game pieces.
Once a question is posed, a visual timer begins. Each player has 30 seconds to write down their answer for a point. 30 seconds later, the answer is revealed and players compare answers to award points. At the end of the game, the player with the most points is crowned the "King of Eureka!" In the rare event of a tie between players, three additional questions occur as a tie-breaker round at the end of the game.
For more check out their Kickstarter page.
Out on iOS
Take It Easy
It’s a puzzle, it’s a brain teaser, it’s a game! It’s all three and much more! It is bingo with strategy! Place your pieces one at a time on the board. Try to form continuous rows of color from edge to edge. But one wrong tile and the whole row is worthless. It gets harder as the number of empty spaces on your board, and your possible choices, diminish. Because once a tile is placed, it can’t be moved!
Take It Easy is a simple, yet surprisingly addictive and thought-provoking game that'll give you endless hours of fun.
• New iPad, iPad, iPhone & iPhone Retina version all-in-one! Includes stunning 2048-by-1536 high resolution graphics for the new iPad.
• Three entertaining and visually beautiful game modes to choose from.
• The Classic Mode will introduce you to the game that started it all. Already over a million copies of the award winning board game have been enjoyed by fans worldwide.
• The Puzzle Mode will test your puzzle solving skills with 100 fun and well designed puzzles. This exciting new twist to the game will have you swapping pieces in your sleep. This mode will appeal to puzzle solvers everywhere.
• Last but not least, the Progressive Mode offers 30 stages of different challenges specifically designed for the iOS version. Conquer all 30 stages before time runs out!
• Local and online multiplayer game play. Play head-to-head against a friend. Or up to 4 players on a single iPad! Or play with friends around the world with the online multiplayer.
• Game Center integration lets you compare high scores with your friends and players around the world. See if you can earn a prestigious spot in the TIE Master leaderboard.
• Over 40 different achievements. Earn points to get that #1 rank and, along the way, win surprising rewards to customize your gameplay.
• More puzzles and challenges on the way!
Cons and Clubs
Starting this week I plan to run a regular feature along with the weeks releases advertising games clubs and conventions in the UK. If you want your club adding to this section then please contact me and I’ll do it asap.
Social Gamers - Crowborough
We meet on alternate Sundays (our next meeting is on 15th April 2012), from 7pm till 10pm with a nominal £1 per head at the Blue Anchor Beacon Road, Crowborough, East Sussex TN6 1BB
We are a group of people that meet to have a fun relaxing evening playing modern card and board games. We have a wide selection of games available (I typically bring along 30+ games) to play and all are welcome young or old, male or female, gamers or non-gamers. – Kevin
I wish I could be there Kevin! Right I’ll sign off and leave you with Paul to tell us about this weeks releases.
Out This Week
And now the latest releases from Board Game Guru.
There are four new releases from Queen games arriving on Tuesday. The one I’m looking forward to the most is 'Kingdom Builder : Nomads', Kingdom Builder has become a gateway game of choice, and is brilliant way of starting off an evening of games - it’s one of my top five from 2011. The first expansion ‘Nomads’, adds 4 new boards, 4 new powers, 3 new scoring cards and a 5th player.
'The New Laws' adds 18 new laws for 'Lancaster', these can be mixed in with the original set or replace them.
'Last Will' sold out very quickly after Essen, however the Rio Grande edition is with us on Tuesday. Players are (like the film ‘Brewsters Millions') trying to spend money as quickly and inefficiently as possible to earn the fortune promised in their rich Uncle's will. The theme of the game works well with the mechanics and I have enjoyed 'Taking my Dog and Butler out to dinner' to waste some money and buying properties at the top of the market only to sell them at the bottom. Recommended!