Facing the Elements

Updated: Sep 5

Last week I talked about how I had backed the new Massive Darkness Hellscape. After the campaign ended I got a little excited and decided to pick up some of the original models, as the new game is coming with an upgrade kit that brings these models into the new system. I justified it to myself because it would be "good practice"... as if a person who paints every day needs practice.


Anyway, I initially picked up the Elementals as I don't really have models in my collection I could use as proxies for these and they are pretty cool sculpts. They are all in hard plastic (rather than board game rubbery plastic) meaning you get those nice sharp edges and details as you can see on the earth elemental below.

The Earth Elemental was easily my favourite of the bunch, I like everything about it and I'm really happy with how the paint job turned out. Everything, from the crispness of the details to the colour of the rocks, came out just the way I envisioned it in my head, which doesn't always happen.

With the Water Elemental I deviated slightly from the art, going for a more coral/shell look for the armour and the weapons. Again, really pleased with this one, there's a really nice blend in the wave from a deep turquoise, all the way up to the white foam.

The Fire Elemental took me a while but I got there in the end. The flames are a mix of drybrushing and washing but then with final, very definitive highlights.

The Air Elemental took me the longest to complete and I think she looks a lot better in person than in photos. I attempted to give this miniature a very soft feel, while still creating areas of contrast between all the different elements of the miniature.

Finally, I have also picked up the Bloodmoon Assassins vs the Hellephant expansion and as you can see I've finished the Hellephant itself. This is a big model, and I'm really happy with how this one turned out. Some of you may have seen my stippling technique in the past which I use to replicate scales and other skin types, with the Hellephant I went with a hashing technique to replicate the elephant skin. I think it turned out great, although it looks more subtle in person than in photos.

That's it for this week, I'm currently employing a "paint them as they come in" strategy so I'm going to finish this expansion for the first part of next week and then I think I'll be doing some Super Dungeon Explore.


The Duke

The Duke has been putting together some more painting spreadsheets this week, turns out he has 584 unpainted miniatures from CMON... Ouch! Most of them though haven't turned up yet!

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • RSS Social Icon
United Kingdom