How To Paint - Aftermath Scrappers

Here's a quick tutorial on how I painted the Scrappers for Plaid Hat Games' Aftermath. See here for more tutorials for Aftermath.


Recipe

  • Citadel Contrast Ork Flesh

  • Citadel Contrast Gore Grunta Fur

  • Citadel Contrast Nazdreg Yellow

  • Citadel Contrast Basilicanum Grey

  • Citadel Contrast Blood Angels Red

  • Citadel Contrast Medium

  • Army Painter Strong Tone

  • Formula P3 Jack Bone

  • Formula P3 Frostbite

  • Formula P3 Moldy Ochre

  • Formula P3 Morrow White

  • Formula P3 Hammerfall Khaki

  • Formula P3 Iosan Green

  • Formula P3 Necrotite Green

  • Formula P3 Menoth White Highlight

  • Formula P3 Bogrin Brown

  • Formula P3 Bog Moss

  • Formula P3 Underbelly Blue

  • Formula P3 Idrian Flesh

  • Formula P3 Carnal Pink

  • Formula P3 Battlefield Brown

  • Green Stuff World Mojave Mudcrack

Method


With the Scrappers there isn't an overwhelming single colour that I need as a base. When that happens I like to pick a neutral off-white colour as a starting point and to make the decision as to which one to choose I ask myself am I going for warmer or colder tones. In the case of the Scrapper I'm going to be doing a lot of browns and greens and so I chose Jack Bone as my base and then I washed it with Strong Tone. This has the effect of shading all the details so I can easily see them while painting.

Next I blocked out some colours, Ork Flesh for the greens, Gore Grunta Brown for the belts and gloves, Basilicanum Grey for the googles and the weapon and Nazdreg Yellow for the belt buckle.

For the fur I went with Underbelly Blue, leaving a little of the base colour in the shadows, then added highlights in Frostbite, before adding further highlights and a little fur texture in Morrow White using a fine detail brush. I also added in the spikes on the armour using the same colours but painting lines to create a horn like texture.

For the armour I like the colour well enough with the wash so I just wanted to add some edge highlighting to give some separation between the armour pieces. For this I used Bog Moss. The stitching was picked out in Hammerfall Khaki.

For the snood I wanted a slightly different green tone. I began by picking out the zig zag pattern in Iosan Green and the very carefully I added some edge highlights in Necrotite Green, I really wanted those sharp edges to pop so i concentrated my highlights on the points as much as possible.

For the gloves and belts, I was again happy with the over all colour so I added some edge highlights in Bogrin Brown in a few strategic raised areas. I also picked out the stitching in Menoth White Highlight.

Time for the shotgun. I began with some edge highlights in Underbelly Blue, I also added some to the metal trim of the armour and the rims of the googles. Then I picked out the stock and the forearm of the shotgun with Idrian Flesh .

Using Frostbite I added some spot highlights to the shotgun and some reflections to the metal trim and the googles adding Morrow White after that for the final reflections.

I edged the belt buckle with some Moldy Ochre, although I wanted to maintain the original colour as much as possible while giving a hint of metal. Then I added some light reflections with Menoth White Highlight.

Lastly we have the nose and the tail. I began by picking these out with Carnal Pink. For the tail I was painting the segments and as you can see it doesn't look great initially, there's too big a difference between the lows and the highs and it's overall too white.


So I added some Blood Angels Red to the Carnal Pink and thinned it with some medium and washed the whole thing. Then I added more Carnal Pink to the thinned mix and and picked out the segments again. Adding some final highlights of Carnal pink to the centre of each segment, shifting the centre round as the tail curves.


To finish off I added the claws in black. The mini was then based using a coat of Battlefield Brown and then a layer of Mojave Mudcrack. Similar techniques were used across all the Scrappers but with different colours.


The spanners were painted using Chipping Medium. For this you paint your silver basecoat. Apply the medium over the top and let it dry. Then you add your top colour and when it's dry you can scratch or rub the paint away to create a chipped effect. I also added rust with weathering powders and shading with grey contrast paint.



For more painting tutorials for Aftermath check out this link. If you like these articles and want to see more please let me know down in the comments. Until next time, have fun painting.


The Duke




Recent Posts

See All
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • RSS Social Icon
United Kingdom